Biocorrect - Orthotics FAQs, Information On Orthotics, Foot Alignment, Orthotic Application, Custom Orthotics and Foot Orthotics - Foot Orthotics Lab Grand Rapids Michigan.
Biocorrect - Orthotics FAQs, Information On Orthotics, Foot Alignment, Orthotic Application, Custom Orthotics and Foot Orthotics - Foot Orthotics Lab Grand Rapids Michigan.Biocorrect - Orthotics FAQs, Information On Orthotics, Foot Alignment, Orthotic Application, Custom Orthotics and Foot Orthotics - Foot Orthotics Lab Grand Rapids Michigan.Biocorrect - Orthotics FAQs, Information On Orthotics, Foot Alignment, Orthotic Application, Custom Orthotics and Foot Orthotics - Foot Orthotics Lab Grand Rapids Michigan.Biocorrect - Orthotics FAQs, Information On Orthotics, Foot Alignment, Orthotic Application, Custom Orthotics and Foot Orthotics - Foot Orthotics Lab Grand Rapids Michigan.Biocorrect - Orthotics FAQs, Information On Orthotics, Foot Alignment, Orthotic Application, Custom Orthotics and Foot Orthotics - Foot Orthotics Lab Grand Rapids Michigan.







info@biocorrect.com
(800) 840-1487
1. What do you mean when you say your patented "foot alignment system biomechanically accomodates the foot"?

At biocorrect® we perform extensive orthotics studies on your functional and structural imbalances and combine the use of muscle balance strengthening, proper shoes, and custom insoles, to address the motion and the control of the weight-bearing structures of the foot. The foot is made up of a complex combination of bones, muscles, ligaments, and joints that move separately and subsequently adapt to the body imbalances on different terrains. We look at and adjust the foot by altering its adaptation and controlling rotation of the ankle, lower leg, knee, and hip.

2. Are there product guarantees?

Your satisfaction is guaranteed; if you have not received the desired results within 90 days, please contact us for a consultation.

3. Who should use biocorrect® orthotics?

70% of the population needs orthotics, and the other 30% could benefit.

4. Can my orthotic be worn in more than one shoe?

Yes. The custom orthotic device can be moved from shoe to shoe.

5. Which payment methods do you accept?

We accept Discover Card, Mastercard and Visa.

6. What makes biocorrect® different from traditional or conventional orthotic devices?

We are dedicated and committed to addressing the unique needs of each individual. Our experience in working with the industrial workers, the general population, and athletes has truly inspired us to develop a unique orthotic application and patented foot alignment system, unlike any other traditional or conventional orthotic devices on the market.

Unfortunately, traditional and conventional orthotic devices have relied on an over-the-counter, one-shape-fits-all approach, focusing on the arch for temporary pain relief. The foot is an extremely complex piece of equipment with multiple moving parts that act as "shock absorbers" for the entire body, and blocking the arch as a means of control, merely displaces the body's impact, in ways that can lead to biomechanical insufficiencies and injury. An arch centered approach to the foot is often unsuccessful because is does not properly address common foot injuries when most biomechanical injuries and conditions are caused by an imbalance of the forefoot. Feel the difference with biocorrect® orthotics.

7. What are my choices for shipping within the United States?

We ship custom orthotics and foot orthotics products via UPS or USPS. There is an additional charge for shipping orthotics to Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico.

8. What are the rates for International Shipping?

International shipping charges range from $11.00 to $55.00 depending on package destination. The required delivery date (overnight, 2nd day air, etc.) may also increase the shipping charges. All international orders must have a contact phone number for delivery purposes. The recipient of the package is responsible for the payment of all duties and taxes collected at delivery.

9. When will my order ship?

We'll ship your order in 3 to 5 business days from the date we receive your order.

10. How can I contact the company?

biocorrect® Orthotics Lab
5147 East Paris Ave. SE Suite 21
Kentwood, Michigan 49512
P (616) 356-5030 F (616) 656-5442
Toll Free: (800) 840-1487
info@biocorrect.com